May 02, 2010
Several boxes the last two weeks had raw peanuts, both in the shell and shelled. Here's a fool-proof way to roast them. Do this just before bedtime:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Spread peanuts-in-the-shell in a single layer on cookie sheet.
3. Place in preheated oven and TURN IT OFF!
4. Leave peanuts in oven overnight. They will be ready-to-eat and perfectly delicious, by morning.
Note: Salted Peanuts in Shell: Soak in salted water for several hours. Allow to dry completely (12-36 hours) before roasting, or peanuts will steam instead.
1. Follow steps 1 & 2.
2. Set timer for 10 minutes. Stir peanuts. Shake pan to distribute.
3. Return to oven for 5-15 minutes more.
4. Cool 10 minutes.
If you prefer salted peanuts, toss with a 1-2 Tbsp canola or peanut oil, plus salt to taste. Allow to cool completely, before placing in storage containers.
Store peanuts in airtight glass or plastic containers. Package the peanuts in freezer-safe containers/bags for long-term storage. When frozen, they will last indefinitely. Enjoy! :)